COTA Plus App End User License Agreement
This Mobile Application End User License Agreement (“Agreement”) is a binding agreement between you (“End User” or “you”) and Central Ohio Transit Authority (“COTA”, “us” or “we”). This Agreement governs your use of the COTA Plus App, including all related documentation (the “App”). The App is licensed, not sold, to you.
BY DOWNLOADING, INSTALLING, OR USING THE APP, YOU (A) ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ AND UNDERSTAND THIS AGREEMENT; (B) REPRESENT THAT YOU ARE 18 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER; AND (C) ACCEPT THIS AGREEMENT AND AGREE THAT YOU ARE LEGALLY BOUND BY ITS TERMS. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THESE TERMS, DO NOT DOWNLOAD, INSTALL, OR USE THE APP.
- License Grant. Subject to the terms of this Agreement, COTA grants you a limited, non-exclusive, and nontransferable license to:
- download, install, and use the App for your personal, non-commercial use on a single mobile device owned or otherwise controlled by you (“Mobile Device”) strictly in accordance with the App’s documentation; and
- License Restrictions. Licensee/you shall not:
- copy the App, except as expressly permitted by this license;
- modify, translate, adapt, or otherwise create derivative works or improvements, whether or not patentable, of the App;
- reverse engineer, disassemble, decompile, decode, or otherwise attempt to derive or gain access to the source code of the App or any part thereof;
- remove, delete, alter, or obscure any trademarks or any copyright, trademark, patent, or other intellectual property or proprietary rights notices from the App, including any copy thereof;
- rent, lease, lend, sell, sublicense, assign, distribute, publish, transfer, or otherwise make available the App, or any features or functionality of the App, to any third party for any reason, including by making the App available on a network where it is capable of being accessed by more than one device at any time;
- remove, disable, circumvent, or otherwise create or implement any workaround to any copy protection, rights management, or security features in or protecting the App; or
- use the App in, or in association with, the design, construction, maintenance, or operation of any hazardous environments or systems, including any power generation systems; aircraft navigation or communication systems, air traffic control systems, or any other transport management systems; safety-critical applications, including medical or life-support systems, vehicle operation applications or any police, fire, or other safety response systems; and military or aerospace applications, weapons systems, or environments.
- Reservation of Rights. You acknowledge and agree that the App is provided under license, and not sold, to you. You do not acquire any ownership interest in the App under this Agreement, or any other rights thereto other than to use the App in accordance with the license granted, and subject to all terms, conditions, and restrictions, under this Agreement. COTA, and its licensors and service providers, reserves and shall retain its entire right, title, and interest in and to the App, including all copyrights, trademarks, and other intellectual property rights therein or relating thereto, except as expressly granted to you in this Agreement. The COTA name and the COTA logo and all related names, logos, product and service names, designs and slogans are trademarks of COTA or its licensors. You must not use such marks without the prior written permission of COTA. All other names, logos, product and service names, designs and slogans on the Services are the trademarks of their respective owners.
- Geographic Restrictions. The Content and Services are based in the state of Ohio in the United States and provided for access and use only by persons located in the United States. You acknowledge that you may not be able to access all or some of the Content and Services outside of the United States and that access thereto may not be legal by certain persons or in certain countries. If you access the Content and Services from outside the United States, you are responsible for compliance with local laws.
- Updates. COTA may from time to time in its sole discretion develop and provide App updates, which may include upgrades, bug fixes, patches, other error corrections, and/or new features (collectively, including related documentation, “Updates”). Updates may also modify or delete in their entirety certain features and functionality. You agree that COTA has no obligation to provide any Updates or to continue to provide or enable any particular features or functionality. Based on your Mobile Device settings, when your Mobile Device is connected to the internet either:
- the App will automatically download and install all available Updates; or
- you may receive notice of or be prompted to download and install available Updates.
You shall promptly download and install all Updates and acknowledge and agree that the App or portions thereof may not properly operate should you fail to do so. You further agree that all Updates will be deemed part of the App and be subject to all terms and conditions of this Agreement.
- Third-Party Materials. The App may display, include, or make available third-party content (including data, information, applications, and other products, services, and/or materials) or provide links to third-party websites or services (“Third-Party Materials”). You acknowledge and agree that COTA is not responsible for Third-Party Materials, including their accuracy, completeness, timeliness, validity, copyright compliance, legality, decency, quality, or any other aspect thereof. COTA does not assume and will not have any liability or responsibility to you or any other person or entity for any Third-Party Materials. Third-Party Materials and links thereto are provided solely as a convenience to you, and you access and use them entirely at your own risk and subject to such third parties’ terms and conditions.
- Text Messaging. By using the App or by otherwise providing us with your mobile phone number in connection with your use of the App, you agree that we may communicate with you regarding COTA and other entities by SMS, MMS, text message or other electronic means to your Mobile Device and that certain information about your usage of the App may be communicated to us. In the event you change or deactivate your mobile telephone number, you agree to promptly update your COTA account information to ensure that your messages are not sent to the person that acquires your old number. You may stop text messages from us by contacting us at: Requests@cota.com or calling Customer Service at (614) 228-1776. However, if you opt-out of receiving text messages from us, your ability to use the App may be impacted.
- Mobile Device Access. You are responsible for obtaining the data network access necessary to use the App. Your wireless service carrier’s standard charges, data rates, and other fees may apply when you access the App in your Mobile Device. In addition, downloading, installing, or using certain mobile services or applications may be prohibited or restricted by your carrier, and not all mobile services or applications may work with all carriers or devices. In the event you change or deactivate your mobile telephone number, you agree to promptly update your COTA account information to ensure that your messages are not sent to the person that acquires your old number. In addition, the App may be subject to malfunctions and delays inherent in the use of the Internet and electronic communications.
- Apple-Enabled App. COTA offers the COTA Plus App for use on Apple iOS devices. If you access the App that has been developed to run on Apple iOS devices (“Apple-Enabled App”), then Apple, Inc. and its subsidiaries (collectively, “Apple”) are third-party beneficiaries to this Agreement, entitled to enforce their terms against you with respect to the Apple-Enabled App (and you will be deemed to have accepted the right). Apple’s terms are available on its own website.
- You understand that you may incur charges for the services you receive through the App (“Charges”). COTA will receive and/or enable your payment of the applicable Charges for services obtained through your use of the App. Charges will be inclusive of applicable taxes where required by law. Charges may include other applicable fees, surcharges or processing fees for split payments.
You may pay for the services offered through the App by credit card. You represent and warrant to COTA that any payment information you provide is true and correct and that you are authorized to use such payment account. You agree to promptly update your account information with any changes that maybe necessary (for example, a change in your billing address or credit card expiration date).
- Term and Termination.
- The term of this Agreement commences when you download/install the App and will continue in effect until terminated by you or COTA as set forth in this Section 13.
- You may terminate this Agreement by deleting the App and all copies thereof from your Mobile Device.
- COTA may terminate this Agreement at any time without notice if it ceases to support the App, which COTA may do in its sole discretion. In addition, this Agreement will terminate immediately and automatically without any notice if you violate any of the terms and conditions of this Agreement.
- Upon termination:
- all rights granted to you under this Agreement will also terminate; and
- you must cease all use of the App and delete all copies of the App from your Mobile Device and account.
- Termination will not limit any of COTA’s rights or remedies at law or in equity.
- Disclaimer of Warranties. THE APP IS PROVIDED TO LICENSEE “AS IS” AND WITH ALL FAULTS AND DEFECTS WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED UNDER APPLICABLE LAW, COTA, ON ITS OWN BEHALF AND ON BEHALF OF ITS AFFILIATES AND THEIR RESPECTIVE LICENSORS AND SERVICE PROVIDERS, EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED, STATUTORY, OR OTHERWISE, WITH RESPECT TO THE APP, INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT, AND WARRANTIES THAT MAY ARISE OUT OF COURSE OF DEALING, COURSE OF PERFORMANCE, USAGE, OR TRADE PRACTICE. WITHOUT LIMITATION TO THE FOREGOING, COTA PROVIDES NO WARRANTY OR UNDERTAKING, AND MAKES NO REPRESENTATION OF ANY KIND THAT THE APP WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS, ACHIEVE ANY INTENDED RESULTS, BE COMPATIBLE, OR WORK WITH ANY OTHER SOFTWARE, APPLICATIONS, SYSTEMS, OR SERVICES, OPERATE WITHOUT INTERRUPTION, MEET ANY PERFORMANCE OR RELIABILITY STANDARDS, OR BE ERROR-FREE, OR THAT ANY ERRORS OR DEFECTS CAN OR WILL BE CORRECTED.
SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF OR LIMITATIONS ON IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR THE LIMITATIONS ON THE APPLICABLE STATUTORY RIGHTS OF A CONSUMER, SO SOME OR ALL OF THE ABOVE EXCLUSIONS AND LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
- Limitation of Liability. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, IN NO EVENT WILL COTA OR ITS AFFILIATES, OR ANY OF ITS OR THEIR RESPECTIVE LICENSORS OR SERVICE PROVIDERS, HAVE ANY LIABILITY ARISING FROM OR RELATED TO YOUR USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE APP OR THE CONTENT AND SERVICES FOR:
- PERSONAL INJURY, PROPERTY DAMAGE, LOST PROFITS, COST OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES, LOSS OF DATA, LOSS OF GOODWILL, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY OTHER CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT, EXEMPLARY, SPECIAL, OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES.
- DIRECT DAMAGES IN AMOUNTS THAT IN THE AGGREGATE EXCEED THE AMOUNT ACTUALLY PAID BY YOU FOR THE APP.
THE FOREGOING LIMITATIONS WILL APPLY WHETHER SUCH DAMAGES ARISE OUT OF BREACH OF CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), OR OTHERWISE AND REGARDLESS OF WHETHER SUCH DAMAGES WERE FORESEEABLE OR COTA WAS ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW CERTAIN LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY SO SOME OR ALL OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
- Indemnification. You agree to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless COTA and its officers, directors, employees, agents, affiliates, successors, and assigns from and against any and all losses, damages, liabilities, deficiencies, claims, actions, judgments, settlements, interest, awards, penalties, fines, costs, or expenses of whatever kind, including attorneys’ fees, arising from or relating to your use or misuse of the App or your breach of this Agreement, including but not limited to the content you submit or make available through this App.
- Export Regulation. The App may be subject to US export control laws, including the Export Control Reform Act and its associated regulations. You shall not, directly or indirectly, export, re-export, or release the App to, or make the App accessible from, any jurisdiction or country to which export, re-export, or release is prohibited by law, rule, or regulation. You shall comply with all applicable federal laws, regulations, and rules, and complete all required undertakings (including obtaining any necessary export license or other governmental approval), prior to exporting, re-exporting, releasing, or otherwise making the App available outside the US.
- Severability. If any provision of this Agreement is illegal or unenforceable under applicable law, the remainder of the provision will be amended to achieve as closely as possible the effect of the original term and all other provisions of this Agreement will continue in full force and effect.
- Governing Law. This Agreement is governed by and construed in accordance with the internal laws of the State of Ohio without giving effect to any choice or conflict of law provision or rule. Any legal suit, action, or proceeding arising out of or related to this Agreement or the App shall be instituted exclusively in the Ohio federal courts of the United States or the courts of the State of Ohio. You waive any and all objections to the exercise of jurisdiction over you by such courts and to venue in such courts.
- Limitation of Time to File Claims. ANY CAUSE OF ACTION OR CLAIM YOU MAY HAVE ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO THIS AGREEMENT OR THE APP MUST BE COMMENCED WITHIN ONE (1) YEAR AFTER THE CAUSE OF ACTION ACCRUES OTHERWISE SUCH CAUSE OF ACTION OR CLAIM IS PERMANENTLY BARRED.
- Waiver. No failure to exercise and no delay in exercising, on the part of either party, any right or any power hereunder shall operate as a waiver thereof, nor shall any single or partial exercise of any right or power hereunder preclude further exercise of that or any other right hereunder. In the event of a conflict between this Agreement and any applicable purchase or other terms, the terms of this Agreement shall govern.
- Notices to Us and Your Comments and Concerns. Feedback, comments, requests for customer or technical support, and other communications relating to the App should be directed to the address below. All legal notices to COTA would be effective upon receipt by us and should be sent by certified or registered mail, return receipt requested, postage prepaid to:
William J. Lhota Building
c/o Customer Service
33 N. High St.
Columbus, Ohio 43215